SAFETY TESTING ACCORDING TO IEC 60884-1 - PLUGS AND SOCKET-OUTLETS
Where can I find the official name of the standard IEC 60884-1 and the valid version of the standard?You can always find the current edition of the standard, amendments or corrections to the standard on the website of the Lithuanian Department of Standardization.
IEC 60884-1 Plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes – part 1: General requirements.
The meaning of the IEC 60884-1 standard, why is it needed:
This standard applies to stationary or portable A.C. for plugs and sockets with:
- rated voltage starting from 50 V but not exceeding 440 V;
- the rated current must not exceed 32 A.
IEC 60884-1 determines:
- basic safety and
- essential operational requirements;
- indicates plugs and socket-outlets tests;
- provides guidelines for their application.
During device testing, the following is defined:
- classification and labeling;
- electrical parameters;
- mechanical parameters.
Depending on the structure of the device, the principle of operation, additional standards may be applied.
LST EN 60884-1 standard applies to:
- extension cords, hubs, adapters;
- splitters, rosettes, forks.
LST EN 60884-1 standard does not apply:
- for plugs, sockets and connectors intended for industrial use;
- for device power connections;
- for plugs, sockets and connectors with a voltage not higher than 50 V.
Do you have questions about product safety testing and/or certification?
We kindly invite you to contact us using the following contacts:
In order for us to submit a proposal for certification, the initial information required for the application is:
- technical documentation of the device;
- a precise description of the intended functions of the device;
- what standard of certification/testing do you prefer?
- how long and when do you want SERTIKA conformity assessment results?
If you are considering product testing or certification, you may benefit from:
How to prepare for product certification and testing - preparation of documents and product prototype for the legalization procedure.
What requirements must be met when placing a product on the European market? - typical steps that a product manufacturer must take before placing the product on the EU market.